Wednesday, November 28, 2018

It's finally happening !


Finally !  I am working on the Clay Face Santa Pattern that I've been promising you ! 
While I"m waiting for some arms and legs to dry, I thought I'd pop in and let you know to get ready ! 
This Santa Pattern is becoming very detailed and is taking me a great deal of time to put together for you.   I've been able to clear my head and am doing my best to make this the best pattern yet. 
I should say it is TWO patterns !  I am including instructions on how to do a standing AND sitting version !   Along with all the tips that I can think of to help you along the way. 
Yesterday, I started getting everything together and made a couple of bodies and clothing for the samples.   I've been drawing out the patterns and will begin typing everything up after lunch.
I think it will probably take the better part of the day tomorrow ( Thursday ) as well, to do the clay face tutorial.    
The reason I decided to post this today, is that I thought you might like a little info on what you will need to make these fine fellows.  You can have all your supplies gathered. for when the pattern is finally released, you will be ready to get going ! 
Of course you know the basics.... muslin or osnaburg for the bodies - that is great for a folky, skinny Santa ,but, I want to tell you that if you want a chubby , more robust Santa,  use plush felt for the body .    That stuff is great to form a nice , rounded body .  Yes, I'm talking about the same type of felt that I/we make our bears and rabbits from.  Any color will do.   I happen to have a lot of the black plush felt  and am making lots of Santa bodies from it.  You'll love it, I think . 
Also, decide what fabrics you will use to dress them.   Lately, I've had fun hunting for woolens and sweaters at our local thrifts.   Lots of fun and different doll clothing can be made from old clothes and sweaters. 
Now, for a Standing Santa, you will need 7/16'' dowel rod, a wood piece for the base ( 7'' x 4'' ) 
You will need stuffing and kitty litter if you want to make the sitting Santa. 
As for the face... I use CREATIVE PAPERCLAY   .  I find it at Hobby Lobby. 
here is a picture....... 

If you don't have any wool for the beard, get on Etsy and find some.    Just search natural sheep wool and you'll find lots. The pretty curly wool in this picture came from The Fiber Queen   www.etsy.com/shop/thefiberqueen
You may also be able to find some at Hobby Lobby or other craft store. .  Check the Leather craft section.
The flesh tone that I like to use to paint the face is AC Flesh by Ceramcoat.  
You will also need some dark brown or black paint for the arms and legs. 
Now, I"m in a rush... I think my things are dry and I"m ready roll ! 
If I have left something out, leave a comment or contact me on FB and I'll do my best to answer as soon as I can. 
If all goes well , and I don't have too many interruptions, The pattern will be released on Friday.  Fingers crossed !
Thank you all SO very much for the love, support, patience , kindness and prayers .  You all mean so much to me ! 
Dru Ann





16 comments:

  1. OH cannot wait... Thank you for all you share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for every thing you do for us crafters , you are to KIND , BLESSING TO YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait...hope you have it in print too as I don't have a printer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing ....how you do these I would never be able to even though I make things. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun! I love this Drew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited! Will it be a paper pattern or an e pattern, instead download?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your talent with is, your patterns are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excited to know more. love the face you have molded. Do we buy the molded face or make our own?
    Carolyn Boutilier cab4325@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. he is wonderful, how do I follow you by email?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited to see the process you use to make these Santas...I have been using this same paperclay mix for years...it is awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing your technique...I am never too old to learn from such a skilled artist! You are a sweetheart for doing all this work for everyone...thanks Dru Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where is the blog for face and all

    ReplyDelete